
On Sunday, June 7, Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church of Ward observed a special 140th anniversary, celebrating the establishment of the congregation in 1886.
Leading up to that time, worship services for this early group of German immigrants had been held in two local school district buildings. The first church building was located northeast of Ward, near the church cemetery, and just across the state line in Minnesota. In 1902, the current building was erected in the town of Ward.
In addition to celebrating 140 years of God’s grace and blessing upon this congregation, this special occasion presented the opportunity to dedicate an exterior cross donated in memory of Harold and Phyllis Bauer by their family. A number of Bauer family members were in attendance.
The morning worship service led by Pastor Paul Gunderson included special music, and was followed by a meal served in the church basement, with the appreciative use of a newly renovated kitchen.
