107 W. 2nd Ave./PO Box 71, Flandreau, SD 57028 • Ph: 605-997-3725 • Fax: Fax: 605-997-3194
Current E-Edition

Main Page Obituaries Sports People News Letters to the Editor Home 

The allusive resolution!

Posted: Tuesday, Jan 15th, 2013

Dave Johnson, seen here walking on the treadmill, is just one of the many new faces in the Tribal Wellness Center at the changing of the year.

Every year, when the calendar page gets flipped from December to January, millions of American set New Years resolutions hoping to better their life and the lives of the people around them. But are people biting off more than they can chew?

According to a study published by the University of Scranton in December of last year, 45% of Americans set at least one New Years resolution for themselves. That same study says that only eight percent of those people actually succeed.

The most popular resolution set by Americans, according to the study, is to lose weight, and rightfully so. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 35.7% of Americans are considered obese. Even the other 64.3% of Americans hit the gym as part of their New Years resolution to “stay fit and healthy,” which is the No.5 top resolution set by Americans.

Moody County residents are no different, although the numbers are at a much smaller scale.

The Tribal Wellness center in Flandreau is the only place in the county where people can go and get a full workout in, and it’s free for anyone living in the county - a perfect scenario for those people looking to fulfill their resolutions.

According to The Wellness Center’s Director, Marie Schmit, the center has seen a 50% increase in the average daily workouts since the first of the year.

“Right now we are averaging 83 workouts per day, assuming everybody checks in,” (which they don’t). Schmit went on to say, “We offer a variety of classes for people to take, and most of the time we let people try them for free hoping they enjoy it and stick around longer.”

Such classes include a group spin class and a Saturday ‘Boot camp”, both of which are offered year-round along with several other classes at the Center, but they don’t seem to keep people around for very long.

For most of the year, the Center sees no more than 50 workouts per day. That’s because the “resolution crowd’ tends to taper off by the middle or end of March. Schmit has seen this trend for some time – she has worked at the center since 2006.

Experts say the biggest reason people give up on their resolutions is because they set their bar too high. For example, if your goal is to lose 50 pounds in 2013, don’t set your goal as “I want to lose 50 pounds this year.” Instead, set several smaller goals such as “I want to lose 10 pounds by March 1st.” Once that goal is met, set a second goal to lose 10 more pounds by June 1st, and so on.

By doing this, you greatly increase your chances of meeting a goal, and will continue to strive towards the next goal. And hopefully when 2014 rolls around, you are part of the mere eight percent of people who succeeded in completing their resolutions.

Select Page:


Shoppe Hide

Trending Now Hide


Copyright 2017 News Media Corporation

News    Classifieds    Shoppe    Search    ContactUs    TalkBack    Subscribe    Information    E-Edition    Business Portal